Todd Haushalter, Chief Product Officer at Evolution Gaming: Dream Machine
Turn on the Dream Machine
Todd Haushalter is Chief Product Officer for Evolution Gaming Group AB. In his past career Mr. Haushalter occupied the position of Vice President-Gaming Operations at MGM Resorts International, Global Director-Product Development at Shuffle Master Gaming and Vice President-Business Strategy at Bally Technologies, Inc.
Evolution Gaming Group AB engages in the development, production, marketing and licensing business to business casino solutions to gaming operators. It provides live casino studios, land-based live casino, mobile live casino, and live casino for television. The company was founded by Richard Hadida, Jens von Bahr and Fredrik Osterberg in 2006 and is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden.
This episode discusses the following topics:
- Living in Europe and what Todd misses about living in the US (5:00)
- Todd’s favorite destinations to travel (8:00)
- Transitioning from working at MGM to Evolution Gaming (9:00)
- “Evolution is the biggest company in gaming you’ve never heard of” (9:00)
- Evolution’s rapid growth in the online casino space (10:00)
- Discussing the mechanics of how different casino games function on Evolution (12:00)
- The recent purchase of NetEnt and further development of Evolution’s slot games (14:00)
- Communal gaming and finding the balance of blending individual and social aspects of gaming (16:00)
- “A fundamental question we ask when developing games is: how do we make this more fun?” (19:00)
- The craziest and most outside-the-box ideas Todd can recall (23:00)
- Expanding Evolution into the US online gaming market (25:00)
- Describing a typical Evolution studio and how studios can vary between states or countries (26:00)
- Whether player habits differ between live and online gaming and the data advantages for online gaming companies (29:00)
- What steps Evolution takes to provide security for personal data of players and preventing scams (34:00)
- How Evolution ensures that players understand that there is a fairness element (38:00)
- How to elicit emotional responses from players in online gaming (40:00)
- How Evolution draws in more players to their games and ensuring that they keep playing (41:00)
- What trends Todd sees going forward (45:00)
- Discussing the challenges of detecting advantage play in online gaming (47:00)
- Gambling stories (50:00)
“Evolution is the biggest company in gaming you’ve never heard of”— Todd Haushalter
“A fundamental question we ask when developing games is: how do we make this more fun?”— Todd Haushalter
About Todd Haushalter
Todd Haushalter has one of the most expansive resumes in the gaming industry. He is currently the Chief Product Officer at Evolution Gaming, the biggest live dealer online casino in the world with over 9,000 employees. He is the inventor of many of the biggest casino games in the world including Crazy Time, Lightning Roulette, Monopoly Live, Mega Ball, Deal or No Deal Live, Infinite Blackjack, Instant Roulette, and numerous other industry-shaping games. He has also lived in Macau and Las Vegas and has held senior leadership positions in the operations, supplier, and internet sectors of the gaming industry, working directly with over 300 casinos across 45 countries on five continents and over 200 online casinos. Prior to his current role, Todd was Corporate Vice President of Gaming Operations for MGM Resorts International, responsible for all slots and table games at 15 properties globally. He also held roles at Shuffle Master as Vice President of Business Strategy, Director of Product Development, and Product Director – Asia. In addition, Todd spent almost five years at Wynn Resorts where he was focused on identifying and implementing new ways to increase casino profitability.
Todd started as a casino dealer with London Clubs International, and he has also worked in Washington, DC with the American Gaming Association (AGA). He has invented a variety of gaming products, including Dream Catcher, Lightning Roulette, Super Sic Bo, Monopoly Live, Infinite Blackjack, Mega Ball, Lightning Dice, and Crazy Time which are among the world’s highest earning games. Todd also has been a regular speaker at universities and industry events around the world. He holds a Master of Business Administration degree and a Master of Science degree in Hotel Administration from the University of Nevada Las Vegas.
Evolution is a world-leader in product innovation and advanced IT-solutions for video streamed live casino. Evolution AB (publ) is listed on Nasdaq Nordic with a MCAP of over EUR 20B. The company was founded in 2006, inspired by the world-renowned casino in Monte Carlo. Using rapidly emerging technology, Evolution founders wanted to bring the excitement from the live player experience into the home. Today, more than 13,000 EVOlutioneers work in the company’s sites across 5 continents.
About MaxBet Media
Two gambling enthusiasts, with a passion for all things gambling. Whether pressing our luck in the high limit room, testing the money line in the sportsbook, or just making friendly wagers on the back nine… we love to gamble! Our careers in the gaming industry have shown us that this industry is filled with some amazing people, with even more amazing stories. Our goal is to help provide a platform for those stories to be shared, while also helping everyone look good in the process.
About Landon Michael Jones
Manager and Co-Founder
Landon’s fascination with the casino industry began when he was just 12 years old and ultimately landed him in Las Vegas, where he earned a degree in hospitality management from University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). For over a decade, Landon has been involved in various aspects of the gaming industry, including operations, management, and supply & distribution.
Landon’s tenacity and passion afforded him the opportunity to serve the gaming industry’s key players and regions throughout the United States. Landon enjoys collaborating with industry leaders to create the ultimate gaming experience for the end-user.
About Mike McKiski
Manager and Co-Founder
A seasoned gaming industry executive and expert in building, marketing, and monetizing gambling related technologies, Mike McKiski currently serves as President of MaxBet Media, Inc., the digital media upstart delivering an unfiltered, authentic, and at times irreverent look at the people who are driving the gambling industry forward.
As he was founding MaxBet Media, Inc., McKiski worked for PlayAGS, Inc. (NYSE: AGS) serving as the company’s Vice President of Sales, with revenue responsibility for the Western United States and all of Canada. Under McKiski’s leadership the revenue team doubled in size and grew revenues over 300%. He is a market transformation catalyst who has been at the forefront of launching mobile and social marketing products for hundreds of casino operators across the continent.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS
Eilers & Krejcik GamingA Boutique Research Firm focused on servicing the gaming equipment, sports, and interactive gaming sectors within the global gaming industry https://ekgamingllc.com/