Rob Cinelli, General Manager at Sycuan Casino: Player Focused
Rob Cinelli is the GM at the Sycuan Casino. He previously served as the Senior VP of Casino Operations at the Venetian and Palazzo. Before that, he served as the Director of Corporate Accounts for ten years with WMS Gaming Inc. He has a Bachelor’s in Business, Finance, and Accounting from the University of Nevada-Reno and an MBA from Pepperdine University.
The Sycuan Casino is located just outside San Diego in El Cajon, California, and is operated by the Sycuan Tribe. It boasts world-class accommodations, live entertainment venues, and gaming, including over 2,500 slot machines, poker tournaments, bingo, baccarat, blackjack, and more.
This episode discusses the following topics:
- Impacts and hardships of the pandemic on the Sycuan Casino and the casino’s perseverance (12:00)
- The competitiveness of the casino industry in the San Diego area and how Sycuan thrives in the market (17:00)
- Marketing practices and how Sycuan attracts new customers (19:00)
- The casino’s ability to keep customers coming back (21:00)
- How higher-ups within the casino industry are able to notice the small details when it comes to customer service (24:00)
- “Most gamblers want to feel special. They want to feel like this is their home” (27:00)
- Rob’s career background and experiences overseas in Macau and Singapore (28:00)
- What Rob learned working in Singapore (32:00)
- Personalizing player experiences and how targeted reinvestments into the casino can be (34:00)
- Transparency in reinvestment to customers and breaking down food credits (37:00)
- Gaming industry highlights in Rob’s career (41:00)
- What excites Rob the most about the future of the industry (43:00)
- “The unknown is the most exciting thing about the future of the gaming industry” (43:00)
- Preparing for online gaming and Sycuan’s partnership with myVEGAS (46:00)
- Advantages and disadvantages of cashless payments (49:00)
- Server-based gaming and whether Rob sees any value in it (51:00)
- Online gaming being incorporated into brick-and-mortar casinos (53:00)
- Rob’s experiences in Asian gaming markets that were already incorporating online gaming (56:00)
- Playing blackjack and experiencing back-betting in Macau (59:00)
- Gambling stories (1:00:00)
“Most gamblers want to feel special. They want to feel like this is their home”— Rob Cinelli
“The unknown is the most exciting thing about the future of the gaming industry”— Rob Cinelli
About MaxBet Media
Two gambling enthusiasts, with a passion for all things gambling. Whether pressing our luck in the high limit room, testing the money line in the sportsbook, or just making friendly wagers on the back nine… we love to gamble! Our careers in the gaming industry have shown us that this industry is filled with some amazing people, with even more amazing stories. Our goal is to help provide a platform for those stories to be shared, while also helping everyone look good in the process.
About Landon Michael Jones
Manager and Co-Founder
Landon’s fascination with the casino industry began when he was just 12 years old and ultimately landed him in Las Vegas, where he earned a degree in hospitality management from University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). For over a decade, Landon has been involved in various aspects of the gaming industry, including operations, management, and supply & distribution.
Landon’s tenacity and passion afforded him the opportunity to serve the gaming industry’s key players and regions throughout the United States. Landon enjoys collaborating with industry leaders to create the ultimate gaming experience for the end-user.
About Mike McKiski
Manager and Co-Founder
A seasoned gaming industry executive and expert in building, marketing, and monetizing gambling related technologies, Mike McKiski currently serves as President of MaxBet Media, Inc., the digital media upstart delivering an unfiltered, authentic, and at times irreverent look at the people who are driving the gambling industry forward.
As he was founding MaxBet Media, Inc., McKiski worked for PlayAGS, Inc. (NYSE: AGS) serving as the company’s Vice President of Sales, with revenue responsibility for the Western United States and all of Canada. Under McKiski’s leadership the revenue team doubled in size and grew revenues over 300%. He is a market transformation catalyst who has been at the forefront of launching mobile and social marketing products for hundreds of casino operators across the continent.