Nasim Binesh, Ph.D. in Hospitality Administration at UNLV: Robot Takeover
Nasim Binesh is an Iranian Ph.D. graduate from the University of Nevada-Las Vegas in Hospitality Administration and Management. Her research interests are revenue management, game theory, robots, and AI in hospitality. Prior to attending UNLV, she received an MBA from Multimedia University in Malaysia and a Bachelor’s degree in Statistics from Ferdowsi University in Iran.
This episode discusses the following topics:
- Background about Nasim reaching out to the show via LinkedIn and this being her first podcast (9:00)
- Nasim’s cultural background and being in Iran during the pandemic (11:00)
- Discussion about some of the robot-related projects she’s working on at UNLV (13:00)
- Connections with a former guest on the show Dr. Robert Rippee at UNLV (16:00)
- Working at Black Fire Innovation Hub with Dr. Rippee (18:00)
- How a specific humanoid-style robot can be utilized by concierge services (20:00)
- Possible advantages of dealing with humans rather than robots at the front desk (23:00)
- Why a humanoid robot is a better customer service option than a kiosk (25:00)
- Capabilities of a robot to entertain customers while they wait (27:00)
- Progress on robot technology and when more widespread use can be expected (28:00)
- The price range of humanoid robots and leasing options (29:00)
- Why hospitality is behind other aspects of the gaming industry in technological innovation (30:00)
- How Nasim decided to pursue robot technology and her family background being exposed to computer engineering (32:00)
- Having the opportunity to study Statistics at a prestigious Iranian university (33:00)
- US connections through her father studying at Columbia University in New York City (35:00)
- How robot technology can be used in sports betting (37:00)
- Possibilities of utilizing robots in card games (40:00)
- Nasim’s Ph.D. dissertation on price forecasting models (44:00)
- Finishing the Ph.D. and what opportunities it can lead to in the job market (49:00)
- “If you think about it, today we live in an era of big data. Everywhere, whatever we do, we’re generating data” (51:00)
- Capabilities of the new Google Assistant technology and not being able to distinguish between bots and humans (54:00)
- Nasim’s desire to dive deeper into the gaming industry using her knowledge, skills, and research (55:00)
- Gambling stories (57:00)
“If you think about it, today we live in an era of big data. Everywhere, whatever we do, we’re generating data”— Nasim Binesh
About MaxBet Media
Two gambling enthusiasts, with a passion for all things gambling. Whether pressing our luck in the high limit room, testing the money line in the sportsbook, or just making friendly wagers on the back nine… we love to gamble! Our careers in the gaming industry have shown us that this industry is filled with some amazing people, with even more amazing stories. Our goal is to help provide a platform for those stories to be shared, while also helping everyone look good in the process.
About Landon Michael Jones
Manager and Co-Founder
Landon’s fascination with the casino industry began when he was just 12 years old and ultimately landed him in Las Vegas, where he earned a degree in hospitality management from University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). For over a decade, Landon has been involved in various aspects of the gaming industry, including operations, management, and supply & distribution.
Landon’s tenacity and passion afforded him the opportunity to serve the gaming industry’s key players and regions throughout the United States. Landon enjoys collaborating with industry leaders to create the ultimate gaming experience for the end-user.
About Mike McKiski
Manager and Co-Founder
A seasoned gaming industry executive and expert in building, marketing, and monetizing gambling related technologies, Mike McKiski currently serves as President of MaxBet Media, Inc., the digital media upstart delivering an unfiltered, authentic, and at times irreverent look at the people who are driving the gambling industry forward.
As he was founding MaxBet Media, Inc., McKiski worked for PlayAGS, Inc. (NYSE: AGS) serving as the company’s Vice President of Sales, with revenue responsibility for the Western United States and all of Canada. Under McKiski’s leadership the revenue team doubled in size and grew revenues over 300%. He is a market transformation catalyst who has been at the forefront of launching mobile and social marketing products for hundreds of casino operators across the continent.