Martin Storm, CEO of BMM Test Labs: Certified
Martin Storm is Executive Chairman and CEO of BMM International, the world’s leading gambling product certification lab for regulated and legal gambling markets. From its initial offices in Melbourne, Australia, Storm has grown BMM operations into twelve countries with expanded segment coverage servicing gambling manufacturers, operators, and regulators. The BMM group of companies worldwide has its international headquarters in Las Vegas and employs over 450 staff.
This episode discusses the following topics:
- Martin’s flight from Australia and his interest in the Golden Knights NHL team in Las Vegas (13:00)
- Background of playing professional volleyball and playing in front of a crowd of 30,000 people in Paris during his career (15:00)
- Giving up volleyball at 26 years old and transitioning into a career in technology and sales (19:00)
- “When you come from my background of physical training, it’s easy to be disciplined and work seven days a week. If you figure everyone else is working five, it doesn’t take you long to get ahead” (21:00)
- Early career experiences at Oracle starting in 1991 (21:00)
- Starting a business in online securities trading and having some early financial success before the tech bubble burst (22:00)
- “There’s no greatness without suffering” (22:00)
- Struggles to raise money for the company (23:00)
- Sharing a story of leaving a fundraising meeting to put his young daughter to bed and earning the trust of his client (26:00)
- Martin’s career move into compliance after merging his company into another under duress (27:00)
- Starting at BMM and eventually buying the company (31:00)
- Going from 12 to 500 employees at BMM and how crucial market access was in growing the company (32:00)
- Eventually achieving all but four jurisdictions in the industry (37:00)
- Challenges of getting licensed in land-based casinos compared to unregulated digital markets (38:00)
- The emergence of digital markets and differences in standards between countries (41:00)
- The increasing speed of technological innovation and a discussion about cryptocurrencies (47:00)
- Generational shifts towards cell phones for young people and moving away from computers (49:00)
- The need for large corporations to be adaptable to fast-moving technological innovations (52:00)
- Uncertainties over which companies will survive this current wave of innovation and which will fail (55:00)
- How compliance is a player in an overall industry that’s exciting (58:00)
- The rise in video conferencing during the pandemic and how quickly society adapts to change (1:00:00)
- Figuring out his identity as a leader and developing a culture at BMM (1:05:00)
- Gambling stories (1:08:00)
When you come from my background of physical training, it’s easy to be disciplined and work seven days a week. If you figure everyone else is working five, it doesn’t take you long to get ahead— Martin Storm
There’s no greatness without suffering— Martin Storm
More information about BMM
BMM is the world’s longest established and most experienced private independent gaming certification lab. BMM has provided professional technical and regulatory compliance services to the gaming industry since 1981.
At its core, BMM is a systems-expert company that has provided consulting for and tested many of the largest gaming networks and systems over the last 40 years. In addition, BMM has been successfully testing and certifying the full scope of Class III, Class II, VLT, AWP, HHR, online/iGaming, sports betting, social, pari-mutuel, and lottery products for over four decades.
BMM authored the first set of independent gaming standards in 1992 and the first set of online gaming standards in 2001.
BMM employs over 500 people in 13 global locations and serves over 470 gaming jurisdictions.
BMM’s world headquarters are in Las Vegas (USA) with offices in Moncton (Canada), Lima (Peru), Buenos Aires (Argentina), Barcelona (Spain), Bologna (Italy), Krakow (Poland), Bucharest (Romania), Midrand (South Africa), Melbourne and Sydney (Australia), Macau (SAR, China) and Singapore.
About MaxBet Media
Two gambling enthusiasts, with a passion for all things gambling. Whether pressing our luck in the high limit room, testing the money line in the sportsbook, or just making friendly wagers on the back nine… we love to gamble! Our careers in the gaming industry have shown us that this industry is filled with some amazing people, with even more amazing stories. Our goal is to help provide a platform for those stories to be shared, while also helping everyone look good in the process.
About Landon Michael Jones
Manager and Co-Founder
Landon’s fascination with the casino industry began when he was just 12 years old and ultimately landed him in Las Vegas, where he earned a degree in hospitality management from University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). For over a decade, Landon has been involved in various aspects of the gaming industry, including operations, management, and supply & distribution.
Landon’s tenacity and passion afforded him the opportunity to serve the gaming industry’s key players and regions throughout the United States. Landon enjoys collaborating with industry leaders to create the ultimate gaming experience for the end-user.
About Mike McKiski
Manager and Co-Founder
A seasoned gaming industry executive and expert in building, marketing, and monetizing gambling related technologies, Mike McKiski currently serves as President of MaxBet Media, Inc., the digital media upstart delivering an unfiltered, authentic, and at times irreverent look at the people who are driving the gambling industry forward.
As he was founding MaxBet Media, Inc., McKiski worked for PlayAGS, Inc. (NYSE: AGS) serving as the company’s Vice President of Sales, with revenue responsibility for the Western United States and all of Canada. Under McKiski’s leadership the revenue team doubled in size and grew revenues over 300%. He is a market transformation catalyst who has been at the forefront of launching mobile and social marketing products for hundreds of casino operators across the continent.