Martin de Knijff, Chairman of the Board at Metric Gaming: The Bridge to Sports Betting
The Bridge to Sports Betting
Martin de Knijff is the Swedish-born founder and Chairman of the Board of Metric Gaming. Prior to this, he was a professional bridge and high-stakes poker player, earning more than $4 million in career earnings. In 2004, he placed first in the World Poker Tour Championship, which earned him a prize of $2.7 million.
Metric Gaming is a sports betting software provider to the iGaming industry and was established to solve the biggest challenges facing the B2B sector. Metric’s Modulus platform provides unrivaled customization capabilities, market-leading betting products, and features to its customers by operating a multi-tenant platform that affords each tenant independence over the rest. These capabilities allow Metric’s customers to deploy richer, more diverse, and distinctive product propositions quicker and cheaper than any alternative solution on the market today.
This episode discusses the following topics:
- Martin’s background as a table tennis player and as a grandmaster bridge player in Sweden (11:00)
- Moving to Stockholm from Falkenburg and networking with gamblers of all ages at a gentlemen’s club (17:00)
- Traveling to the US and becoming a professional bridge player (18:00)
- Challenges of bridge and barriers of entry (19:00)
- Transitioning from playing bridge to poker while visiting the US (21:00)
- Martin’s early experiences in poker tournaments (23:00)
- Moving into sports betting and discussing innovations in the industry by Starlizard (25:00)
- Particularities of sports betting and handicapping in Asia (28:00)
- Advantages of the Asian market at the time due to gamers not being taxed as in the UK market (31:00)
- Martin’s contributions to Starlizard’s data on sports betting (33:00)
- Returning to the US, gaining a specific visa to play poker and becoming a stay-at-home-dad for a time (35:00)
- Returning to the sports betting industry after seeing a lack of innovation in the space and his opportunity to contribute (38:00)
- Expanding capabilities of players in micro-betting (40:00)
- Founding Metric Gaming in 2013 and which directions Martin decided to take the company early on (42:00)
- Developing Metric’s first micro-betting prototype within a year of the company’s founding (44:00)
- Discovering the world of micro-betting to be challenging and attempting to scale up (46:00)
- The massive growth of B2B sports betting and the challenges of competing against large companies (49:00)
- What technologies large B2B companies are missing that Metric can develop (53:00)
- Metric’s role as a core system in sports betting and adjusting to different territories based on gambling trends (58:00)
- How sports betting pros can beat a sports book (1:02:00)
- Whether Martin thinks the sports betting industry is overpopulated at the moment (1:04:00)
- Possibilities of NFTs and peer-to-peer technology in the sports betting space (1:06:00)
- “I’m a believer of social sports betting. Someone will figure that out eventually” (1:06:00)
- Gambling stories (1:09:00)
I’m a believer of social sports betting. Someone will figure that out eventually— Martin de Knijff
About MaxBet Media
Two gambling enthusiasts, with a passion for all things gambling. Whether pressing our luck in the high limit room, testing the money line in the sportsbook, or just making friendly wagers on the back nine… we love to gamble! Our careers in the gaming industry have shown us that this industry is filled with some amazing people, with even more amazing stories. Our goal is to help provide a platform for those stories to be shared, while also helping everyone look good in the process.
About Landon Michael Jones
Manager and Co-Founder
Landon’s fascination with the casino industry began when he was just 12 years old and ultimately landed him in Las Vegas, where he earned a degree in hospitality management from University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). For over a decade, Landon has been involved in various aspects of the gaming industry, including operations, management, and supply & distribution.
Landon’s tenacity and passion afforded him the opportunity to serve the gaming industry’s key players and regions throughout the United States. Landon enjoys collaborating with industry leaders to create the ultimate gaming experience for the end-user.
About Mike McKiski
Manager and Co-Founder
A seasoned gaming industry executive and expert in building, marketing, and monetizing gambling related technologies, Mike McKiski currently serves as President of MaxBet Media, Inc., the digital media upstart delivering an unfiltered, authentic, and at times irreverent look at the people who are driving the gambling industry forward.
As he was founding MaxBet Media, Inc., McKiski worked for PlayAGS, Inc. (NYSE: AGS) serving as the company’s Vice President of Sales, with revenue responsibility for the Western United States and all of Canada. Under McKiski’s leadership the revenue team doubled in size and grew revenues over 300%. He is a market transformation catalyst who has been at the forefront of launching mobile and social marketing products for hundreds of casino operators across the continent.