Justin Beltram, Chief Operating Officer at Maverick Gaming: Mavericks of Gaming
Mavericks of Gaming
Justin Beltram has been the COO of Maverick Gaming since 2019. Prior to this, Mr. Beltram was the Corporate Vice President of Slot Operations for Las Vegas Sands Corporation from 2014 through 2017 and the Vice President of Slots for the Marina Bay Sands Casino in Singapore from 2011 through 2014. Maverick Gaming owns and operates 19 cardrooms in Washington State, with a handful of other properties in Nevada and Colorado.
This episode discusses the following topics:
- The exponential growth of Maverick Gaming across multiple states (15:00)
- Behind the scenes of how Maverick got started and early setbacks (16:00)
- The process of how Maverick selects casinos to purchase (19:00)
- Maverick’s entry into sports betting, online gaming, and its plans moving forward (21:00)
- Competition with tribal gaming entities in Washington State (22:00)
- Connections with fraternity brothers in the gaming industry (23:00)
- Sharing a story about security issues in northern Nevada and other areas (25:00)
- Learning experiences to improve gaming and quick fixes to loyalty programs (27:00)
- Justin’s experiences living in Singapore and working at Marina Bay Sands (30:00)
- Scariest experiences making career leaps to different roles and dealing with investors (32:00)
- What it felt like from the onset of being an entrepreneur in his current role (35:00)
- Discussing the charity work of Maverick Cares in local communities of Washington State (37:00)
- Discussing the work of the Shade Tree charity in Las Vegas (39:00)
- Origins of the name Maverick for the company (41:00)
- What Maverick offers its customers that others don’t (42:00)
- “We give the customers what gamblers want. If they want free-play, they get free-play. We won’t make them jump through hoops. Give gamblers what they want” (42:00)
- How Maverick learns what the customers want from their gambling backgrounds (43:00)
- What’s next for Maverick in the gaming industry (45:00)
- Challenges of the pandemic and impacts on the company employees and properties (48:00)
- Gambling stories (51:00)
“We give the customers what gamblers want. If they want free-play, they get free-play. We won’t make them jump through hoops. Give gamblers what they want”— Justin Beltram
More about Justin Beltram
Mr. Beltram’s other career experiences include working with MGM Resorts International for 11 years holding various positions, including Vice President of Slots and Marketing at the Bellagio, Vice President of Slots and Marketing at the Treasure Island Casino, and numerous positions within the casino and financial departments at the Mirage.
Mr. Beltram has excelled at managing all levels of the casino business while driving incremental revenue at every property he has been employed. Revenue records have been set by taking a creative approach to casino operations and marketing. Mr. Beltram has also created new electronic casino games and innovations for the casino industry.
About Maverick Gaming
Maverick Gaming LLC is a gaming and hospitality company focused on creating authentic gaming experiences for its players. Led by a team of experienced professionals with an extensive history in the gaming industry, senior leadership has operational experience across most US gaming jurisdictions from regional to destination and river boat to land-based gaming. Maverick is currently in the process of expanding its portfolio to become one of the market leaders in the regional gaming industry.
About MaxBet Media
Two gambling enthusiasts, with a passion for all things gambling. Whether pressing our luck in the high limit room, testing the money line in the sportsbook, or just making friendly wagers on the back nine… we love to gamble! Our careers in the gaming industry have shown us that this industry is filled with some amazing people, with even more amazing stories. Our goal is to help provide a platform for those stories to be shared, while also helping everyone look good in the process.
About Landon Michael Jones
Manager and Co-Founder
Landon’s fascination with the casino industry began when he was just 12 years old and ultimately landed him in Las Vegas, where he earned a degree in hospitality management from University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). For over a decade, Landon has been involved in various aspects of the gaming industry, including operations, management, and supply & distribution.
Landon’s tenacity and passion afforded him the opportunity to serve the gaming industry’s key players and regions throughout the United States. Landon enjoys collaborating with industry leaders to create the ultimate gaming experience for the end-user.
About Mike McKiski
Manager and Co-Founder
A seasoned gaming industry executive and expert in building, marketing, and monetizing gambling related technologies, Mike McKiski currently serves as President of MaxBet Media, Inc., the digital media upstart delivering an unfiltered, authentic, and at times irreverent look at the people who are driving the gambling industry forward.
As he was founding MaxBet Media, Inc., McKiski worked for PlayAGS, Inc. (NYSE: AGS) serving as the company’s Vice President of Sales, with revenue responsibility for the Western United States and all of Canada. Under McKiski’s leadership the revenue team doubled in size and grew revenues over 300%. He is a market transformation catalyst who has been at the forefront of launching mobile and social marketing products for hundreds of casino operators across the continent.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS
Eilers & Krejcik GamingA Boutique Research Firm focused on servicing the gaming equipment, sports, and interactive gaming sectors within the global gaming industry https://ekgamingllc.com/
Acres ManufacturingFoundation™ lets your slot machines connect to any app. With real-time data, loyalty and cashless transactions in a single mobile interface, the game has been changed.https://acresmanufacturing.com/