Jean Venneman, Chief Commercial Officer at Gaming Arts: Hard Work, Works
Hard Work, Works
Jean Venneman serves as Chief Operating Officer of Gaming Arts. Previously, Venneman was the Senior VP of Business Development at High 5 Games; VP of Brand Licensing, Gaming & Interactive at Scientific Games; and for 17 years prior, she served in various roles at IGT, ending her tenure as Senior Vice President of Product Development. Venneman has been honored with the “Great Women of Gaming Proven Leader” award.
Gaming Arts, LLC is an end-to-end gaming equipment technology provider of electronic gaming machines, bingo, keno, and interactive casino promotional systems. Gaming Arts is privately owned and operated, with its business headquartered in Las Vegas, Nevada, and holds gaming licenses in approximately 120 jurisdictions, including North America, Latin America, the Pacific Rim, and South Africa.
This episode discusses the following topics:
- Jean’s travel schedule during the pandemic (10:00)
- Mike’s experiences working under Jean in the past at Bally’s (11:00)
- How she entered the gaming industry and living in Europe during her early 20s working at IGT (13:00)
- Transitioning from living in Europe to Reno and working on the first Wheel of Fortune slot machines (16:00)
- Jean’s prominence in game licensing and product development as one of the few women in the room (20:00)
- “To women in the industry: never sell yourself short and never think that you’ll get stuck. If you keep at it, you can grow. Hard work generally pays off if you’re in the right environment” (22:00)
- Demographic changes in the industry and seeing more women in gaming now (23:00)
- Jean’s vision of a successful slot company (25:00)
- “If you manage people well, you can really watch them blossom.” (26:00)
- Discussing against the grain ideas for games and gender dynamics when conceptualizing games (28:00)
- Stories of guiding Michael Jackson around the Global Gaming Expo (G2E) (30:00)
- Jean’s plans at Gaming Arts and whether she’ll license more games (34:00)
- What aspects of games she considers to move forward with licensing (36:00)
- What Jean is most excited about in the industry moving forward at Gaming Arts (38:00)
- Breaking down the Gaming Arts portfolio of how many games are successful (41:00)
- Whether Gaming Arts will expand into the iGaming realm (43:00)
- Contentment being second in command and not taking on the visionary role of a CEO (44:00)
- Parenting experiences and whether Jean is the good cop or the bad cop (45:00)
- Gambling stories (47:00)
“To women in the industry: never sell yourself short and never think that you’ll get stuck. If you keep at it, you can grow. Hard work generally pays off if you’re in the right environment”— Jean Venneman
“If you manage people well, you can really watch them blossom.”— Jean Venneman
More about Gaming Arts
Gaming Arts, LLC is a privately-owned end-to-end gaming technology provider of electronic gaming machines, bingo, keno, and interactive casino promotional systems. Long known as the world leader in bingo and keno games and technologies, Gaming Arts has expanded its focus to reinvent the casino floor with an extensive library of groundbreaking video reels. Its tireless commitment to innovation, performance, and ‘Fun for the Gambler’ mentality is the driving force behind Gaming Arts’ unrivaled creativity, resulting in the fastest and largest scale slot launch by a newcomer in the history of gaming.
In the EGM space, Gaming Arts continues to build a robust portfolio of slot games that are far from ordinary. Its inaugural collection of video reels, including the Pop’N Pays™ and Da Fa Ba™ series, the patented Dice Seeker® series, and the Casino Wizard® suite of video table games, are being enjoyed by players across the country, with international placements coming later this year. In addition, over 25 titles and the world’s first patent-pending persistent wheel games featuring the HALOTOP® Wheel Topper will be available to operators in the near future. Customers can also expect impressive new hardware in the coming months, featuring some of the sleekest cabinets ever seen on the slot floor.
Gaming Arts’ investment in the game development and design space is a testament to its commitment to providing an exceptional library of innovative slots players love while increasing operators’ bottom line. For bingo operations, Gaming Arts has developed an enormous suite of bingo SuperGames® including the million-dollar Bingo Millions® games, all underwritten by Gaming Arts. These games, coupled with technological advances such as its proprietary Super Win Bingo™ computerized game system, are changing the future of bingo.
About MaxBet Media
Two gambling enthusiasts, with a passion for all things gambling. Whether pressing our luck in the high limit room, testing the money line in the sportsbook, or just making friendly wagers on the back nine… we love to gamble! Our careers in the gaming industry have shown us that this industry is filled with some amazing people, with even more amazing stories. Our goal is to help provide a platform for those stories to be shared, while also helping everyone look good in the process.
About Landon Michael Jones
Manager and Co-Founder
Landon’s fascination with the casino industry began when he was just 12 years old and ultimately landed him in Las Vegas, where he earned a degree in hospitality management from University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). For over a decade, Landon has been involved in various aspects of the gaming industry, including operations, management, and supply & distribution.
Landon’s tenacity and passion afforded him the opportunity to serve the gaming industry’s key players and regions throughout the United States. Landon enjoys collaborating with industry leaders to create the ultimate gaming experience for the end-user.
About Mike McKiski
Manager and Co-Founder
A seasoned gaming industry executive and expert in building, marketing, and monetizing gambling related technologies, Mike McKiski currently serves as President of MaxBet Media, Inc., the digital media upstart delivering an unfiltered, authentic, and at times irreverent look at the people who are driving the gambling industry forward.
As he was founding MaxBet Media, Inc., McKiski worked for PlayAGS, Inc. (NYSE: AGS) serving as the company’s Vice President of Sales, with revenue responsibility for the Western United States and all of Canada. Under McKiski’s leadership the revenue team doubled in size and grew revenues over 300%. He is a market transformation catalyst who has been at the forefront of launching mobile and social marketing products for hundreds of casino operators across the continent.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS
Eilers & Krejcik GamingA Boutique Research Firm focused on servicing the gaming equipment, sports, and interactive gaming sectors within the global gaming industry https://ekgamingllc.com/