Dallas Orchard, SVP and COO of Asia Pacific for IGT: Build Good Games
Build Good Games
Born and raised in Australia, Dallas Orchard is a gaming industry stalwart, joining IGT in September 2015 as Senior Vice President, Global Premium Products. Before this, he was Vice President of Gaming Operations for Aristocrat Technologies, Inc., responsible for ownership and management of their Gaming Operations P&L.
IGT is a global leader in gaming. It is listed on the New York Stock Exchange under the trading symbol “IGT,” Its holding company headquarters are in the United Kingdom, with operating headquarters in Rome, Italy; Las Vegas, Nevada; and Providence, Rhode Island. The Company attracts the industry’s top talent, with approximately 10,500 employees across the globe.
This episode discusses the following topics:
- Dallas Orchard’s background playing American football and rugby at UNLV (11:00)
- Comparisons of IGT properties between the US and Asia-Pacific during the pandemic (14:00)
- Past experiences at the Australasian Gaming Expo (AGE) (16:00)
- Gaming in the Philippines during the pandemic under Rodrigo Duterte (17:00)
- The overall landscape of gaming in Australia as a mature market and Asia-Pacific as a growing market (18:00)
- Japan as a potential iGaming market (21:00)
- Dallas’s family history in the gaming industry and early background moving to the US (23:00)
- Best memories of being a young man in Las Vegas during his early career at the Hard Rock (26:00)
- Dallas’s background as a competitive BMX rider (29:00)
- What Dallas is excited about with IGT at the moment and competition with Aristocrat (32:00)
- Discussing the Australian market for IGT and what features Aussie players look for in gaming (34:00)
- The development of Aristocrat’s Lightning Link in Australia (36:00)
- The goal for companies to develop games for a global market and the importance of also focusing on regional markets (38:00)
- Dallas’s success stories while working at Aristocrat (40:00)
- Forecasting the next big game (42:00)
- “We have to respond to what the players want, not only the operators and customers” (44:00)
- IGT’s desire to bring persistence games to Australia and difficulties with reconfigurations to meet regulations (45:00)
- Bringing back classic games rather than constantly attempting to innovate (46:00)
- What games the hosts are playing currently (49:00)
- “What we’ve seen with re-openings is players returning to their favorite trusted old games” (51:00)
- Dallas attempting to get his children to watch his favorite classic movies (53:00)
- Gambling stories (54:00)
“We have to respond to what the players want, not only the operators and customers”— Dallas Orchard
“What we’ve seen with re-openings is players returning to their favorite trusted old games”— Dallas Orchard
More about Dallas Orchard
Dallas Orchard previously held the position of Vice President of Gaming Operations for Aristocrat Technologies, Inc., where he was responsible for ownership and management of Gaming Operations P&L, accounting for approximately 40 percent of North American revenues for Aristocrat. His role included pricing, product placement, customer qualification, yield management of the legacy fleet, jackpot strategy, and the link portfolio. During his tenure, Orchard delivered strong double-digit top-line revenue growth and profitability while doubling the size of Aristocrat Technologies’ North American Gaming Operations Installed Base.
Orchard’s other prior roles include overseeing sales and marketing strategy for the Americas as a sales and marketing executive for Ainsworth Game Technology and working as Marketing Manager for Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. He holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Nevada Las Vegas.
More about IGT
IGT delivers entertaining and responsible gaming experiences for players across all channels and regulated segments, from Lotteries and Gaming Machines to Sports Betting and Digital. Leveraging a wealth of compelling content, substantial investment in innovation, player insights, operational expertise, and leading-edge technology, their solutions deliver unrivaled gaming experiences that engage players and drive growth. IGT has a well-established local presence and relationships with governments and regulators in more than 100 countries worldwide and creates value by adhering to the highest standards of service, integrity, and responsibility.
About MaxBet Media
Two gambling enthusiasts, with a passion for all things gambling. Whether pressing our luck in the high limit room, testing the money line in the sportsbook, or just making friendly wagers on the back nine… we love to gamble! Our careers in the gaming industry have shown us that this industry is filled with some amazing people, with even more amazing stories. Our goal is to help provide a platform for those stories to be shared, while also helping everyone look good in the process.
About Landon Michael Jones
Manager and Co-Founder
Landon’s fascination with the casino industry began when he was just 12 years old and ultimately landed him in Las Vegas, where he earned a degree in hospitality management from University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). For over a decade, Landon has been involved in various aspects of the gaming industry, including operations, management, and supply & distribution.
Landon’s tenacity and passion afforded him the opportunity to serve the gaming industry’s key players and regions throughout the United States. Landon enjoys collaborating with industry leaders to create the ultimate gaming experience for the end-user.
About Mike McKiski
Manager and Co-Founder
A seasoned gaming industry executive and expert in building, marketing, and monetizing gambling related technologies, Mike McKiski currently serves as President of MaxBet Media, Inc., the digital media upstart delivering an unfiltered, authentic, and at times irreverent look at the people who are driving the gambling industry forward.
As he was founding MaxBet Media, Inc., McKiski worked for PlayAGS, Inc. (NYSE: AGS) serving as the company’s Vice President of Sales, with revenue responsibility for the Western United States and all of Canada. Under McKiski’s leadership the revenue team doubled in size and grew revenues over 300%. He is a market transformation catalyst who has been at the forefront of launching mobile and social marketing products for hundreds of casino operators across the continent.
THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS
Eilers & Krejcik GamingA Boutique Research Firm focused on servicing the gaming equipment, sports, and interactive gaming sectors within the global gaming industry https://ekgamingllc.com/
Acres ManufacturingFoundation™ lets your slot machines connect to any app. With real-time data, loyalty and cashless transactions in a single mobile interface, the game has been changed.https://acresmanufacturing.com/