Empowering Women in Gaming
Cassie Stratford, President of Global Gaming Women, Sr. Vice President President of Legal Operations and Compliance at Boyd Gaming
Siobhan Lane, Board Member at Global Gaming Women and Chief Commercial Officer of Gaming at Light and Wonder
Empowering Women in Gaming
The American Gaming Association established Global Gaming Women (GGW) to create a broad network that allows peers to connect with their colleagues. The goal is for female gaming professionals to learn from one another, create lasting connections and nurture emerging women leaders. In 2016, Global Gaming Women launched as an independent charitable organization to deliver high-impact programs and events on a global scale that support, inspire, and influence the development of women in the gaming and lottery industry.
This episode discusses the following topics:
- Defining diversity and inclusion and amplifying good practices rather than focusing on the negative (8:00)
- “If we call out and positively reinforce allies, maybe they’ll do more to support diversity and inclusion” (10:00)
- The need to prioritize diversity and inclusion when developing businesses (11:00)
- Discussing allyship and how to be an active participant in amplifying different voices (13:00)
- The pressures of being an individual representative of an entire group of people (16:00)
- Tips for being an ally and sharing different perspectives (19:00)
- “Personal touches and personal anecdotes create new pathways of thinking about diversity that go beyond some big program change” (21:00)
- Cassie’s personal stories of allyship in the gaming industry (23:00)
- Discussing the regret of not speaking out being more potent than sharing one’s voice and regretting it afterward (26:00)
- Gender dynamics of men generally being more self-promoting than women in the workplace (28:00)
- GGW’s supportive culture and encouragement of its members to not be competitive but still challenge one another (31:00)
- How the Board of GGW can include non-female perspectives even with an all-female staff (35:00)
- Cassie’s reaction to feedback that the Board is not only all-female but also mostly white and the need to keep working at inclusion and diversity constantly (38:00)
- Providing information about how people can get involved in GGW and what benefits they offer (40:00)
- Advice on how to reach out to potential mentors and facilitate others to be introduced (43:00)
- Gambling stories (48:00)
“Personal touches and personal anecdotes create new pathways of thinking about diversity that go beyond some big program change”— Cassie Stratford
“If we call out and positively reinforce allies, maybe they’ll do more to support diversity and inclusion”— Siobhan Lane
More about Cassie Stratford
Cassie Stratford currently serves as Vice President of Legal Affairs and Assistant General Counsel for Boyd Gaming Corporation, a publicly-traded gaming entertainment operator with properties throughout the United States and key strategic partnerships in sports betting and iGaming. Since joining Boyd Gaming Corporation in 2012, Ms. Stratford has been involved in several functions within the legal department, including oversight of privacy and data security initiatives, regulatory compliance and licensing, marketing and operational advisory matters, negotiating and drafting contracts for several complex business arrangements, including related to emerging technologies, legal oversight of human resources matters, managing premises liability and complex litigation, involvement with diligence and integration for newly acquired properties, and a wide variety of general legal advisory matters.
Before joining Boyd Gaming Corporation, Ms. Stratford was a commercial litigation attorney in the Las Vegas office of Snell & Wilmer L.L.P. Ms. Stratford received her bachelor’s degree from Georgetown University in Washington DC and her Juris Doctor from UNLV’s William S. Boyd School of Law, where she has also served as an Adjunct Professor, teaching an upper-level legal writing course entitled “Transactional Drafting .”In addition to her role as the current President of the Board for Global Gaming Women, Ms. Stratford continues to be involved in Georgetown and UNLV Law alumni programs, serves as a regular volunteer for the Ask-a-Lawyer program through the Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada and is involved in various other community organizations.
More about Siobhan Lane
Siobhan Lane is a senior global gaming executive with a track record of driving business results through strong strategic and executional alignment with a focus on building high-performing teams and an engaging culture. Ms. Lane currently serves as Chief Commercial Officer in the Gaming Business Unit at Scientific Games, where she oversees commercial strategy, product management, marketing, and data & analytics.
Before joining Scientific Games, Ms. Lane was Senior Vice President of Marketing and Gaming Operations at Aristocrat Technologies. She helped lead the organizational transformation and market turnaround of Aristocrat in the North American region.
Ms. Lane was born in Ireland and graduated with distinction from Penn State University with a Bachelor of Science degree in Marketing and International Business. She recently completed the Executive Development Program at The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.
In 2018, she was recognized as a Top 40 Under 40 Emerging Leader by Global Gaming Business and, in 2020, was recognized as one of the Gaming Industry’s Most Influential Female Leaders.
About MaxBet Media
Two gambling enthusiasts, with a passion for all things gambling. Whether pressing our luck in the high limit room, testing the money line in the sportsbook, or just making friendly wagers on the back nine… we love to gamble! Our careers in the gaming industry have shown us that this industry is filled with some amazing people, with even more amazing stories. Our goal is to help provide a platform for those stories to be shared, while also helping everyone look good in the process.
About Landon Michael Jones
Manager and Co-Founder
Landon’s fascination with the casino industry began when he was just 12 years old and ultimately landed him in Las Vegas, where he earned a degree in hospitality management from University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). For over a decade, Landon has been involved in various aspects of the gaming industry, including operations, management, and supply & distribution.
Landon’s tenacity and passion afforded him the opportunity to serve the gaming industry’s key players and regions throughout the United States. Landon enjoys collaborating with industry leaders to create the ultimate gaming experience for the end-user.
About Mike McKiski
Manager and Co-Founder
A seasoned gaming industry executive and expert in building, marketing, and monetizing gambling related technologies, Mike McKiski currently serves as President of MaxBet Media, Inc., the digital media upstart delivering an unfiltered, authentic, and at times irreverent look at the people who are driving the gambling industry forward.
As he was founding MaxBet Media, Inc., McKiski worked for PlayAGS, Inc. (NYSE: AGS) serving as the company’s Vice President of Sales, with revenue responsibility for the Western United States and all of Canada. Under McKiski’s leadership the revenue team doubled in size and grew revenues over 300%. He is a market transformation catalyst who has been at the forefront of launching mobile and social marketing products for hundreds of casino operators across the continent.