Andrew Burke, CEO of Bluberi Gaming: Reels of Steel
Reels of Steel
Andrew Burke joined Bluberi Gaming in 2020 and has over fifteen years of experience in gaming and private equity experience. Before his current position, he served as the Senior Vice President of Slot Products at AGS, where he was the mastermind behind implementing strategies that helped get games like Colossal Diamonds into nearly every casino. Bluberi Gaming is headquartered in Las Vegas and backed by more than 25 years of industry experience. Bluberi is an innovative company dedicated to developing and delivering the highest quality casino gaming experience to players and operators.
This episode discusses the following topics:
- The launch of the new Bluberi Gaming slot game Reels of Steel (23:00)
- Partnering with bZillions (formerly Colossal Gaming) to develop new games (25:00)
- The excitement of bringing new games to life and the challenges of mechanical slot machines (28:00)
- Development background before presenting the game at G2E (Global Gaming Expo) (30:00)
- Quality over quantity, and preferring to have less, but better-built games (32:00)
- Exploring niches within the gaming industry and whether to pursue them (34:00)
- Taking different approaches than other companies in gaming, and the scarcity of research and development money (36:00)
- What smaller games from Bluberi that Andrew is excited about (38:00)
- The role of player focus groups in gaming development (39:00)
- The difference between approaches of utilizing positive and negative feedback in the focus groups (42:00)
- “The people make the business great. The people make the business fun” (44:00)
- Balancing fun and making money in company cultures (45:00)
- Challenges small businesses have in focus and prioritization (47:00)
- Opportunities small businesses have in being able to adjust down to the individual level (48:00)
- How Andrew keeps the office culture fun at Bluberi (50:00)
- “If everybody is engaged, pumped up, and running in the same direction, you’ll get to where you need to go a lot faster” (53:00)
- Hardships of the pandemic and relying on friends to get through uncertainty and difficult times (54:00)
- Transitioning roles at the beginning of the pandemic (55:00)
- Bluberi coming out of the pandemic in a stronger place, and employee discussions of getting company tattoos (57:00)
- Gambling stories (1:00:00)
“The people make the business great. The people make the business fun”— Andrew Burke
“If everybody is engaged, pumped up, and running in the same direction, you’ll get to where you need to go a lot faster”— Andrew Burke
About MaxBet Media
Two gambling enthusiasts, with a passion for all things gambling. Whether pressing our luck in the high limit room, testing the money line in the sportsbook, or just making friendly wagers on the back nine… we love to gamble! Our careers in the gaming industry have shown us that this industry is filled with some amazing people, with even more amazing stories. Our goal is to help provide a platform for those stories to be shared, while also helping everyone look good in the process.
About Landon Michael Jones
Manager and Co-Founder
Landon’s fascination with the casino industry began when he was just 12 years old and ultimately landed him in Las Vegas, where he earned a degree in hospitality management from University of Nevada, Las Vegas (UNLV). For over a decade, Landon has been involved in various aspects of the gaming industry, including operations, management, and supply & distribution.
Landon’s tenacity and passion afforded him the opportunity to serve the gaming industry’s key players and regions throughout the United States. Landon enjoys collaborating with industry leaders to create the ultimate gaming experience for the end-user.
About Mike McKiski
Manager and Co-Founder
A seasoned gaming industry executive and expert in building, marketing, and monetizing gambling related technologies, Mike McKiski currently serves as President of MaxBet Media, Inc., the digital media upstart delivering an unfiltered, authentic, and at times irreverent look at the people who are driving the gambling industry forward.
As he was founding MaxBet Media, Inc., McKiski worked for PlayAGS, Inc. (NYSE: AGS) serving as the company’s Vice President of Sales, with revenue responsibility for the Western United States and all of Canada. Under McKiski’s leadership the revenue team doubled in size and grew revenues over 300%. He is a market transformation catalyst who has been at the forefront of launching mobile and social marketing products for hundreds of casino operators across the continent.